Sometimes a solicitor’s letter asking for possession is enough.

Use “Short advice” to obtain possession

Our Landlord client wanted his property back after expiry of the tenancy but was reluctant to issue eviction proceedings because of the cost of using a solicitor. He had served the right notice under s21 but the tenant had not left.  He had asked him politely to go but was told that if he wanted possession then a Court Order would have to be obtained.

The Landlord booked a short advice with Moss & Co.  We looked at all his documents and found a number of mistakes including an invalid deposit protection.  Moss & Co advised how to rectify the Deposit Protection mistakes but advised that as a first step they would write to the tenant asking him to comply with the Notice within seven days or a court case claiming possession and costs would be issued.

The tactic worked.  Often tenants who will brazen it out with a landlord change their minds when they receive a strongly worded letter reminding them of the costs they will have to pay.  We will always look for the moist economic way for landlords to obtain possession.

Narinder Moss, Senior Partner, Moss & Co

Narinder Moss did this case

Go Back