Proceeds of Crime

The Proceeds of Crime Act and the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act provide very powerful tools to seize assets.

Our experts will do all they can to defend your assets and seek their return where forfeiture applications are made.

Assets and cash can be seized through:

Forfeiture in the Magistrates Court

Police and Customs officers can take cash over £1000 from people where they believe it has come from a crime or is to be used unlawfully

Unlawful Profit Orders in the Magistrates and County  Court

The Prevention of Social Housing Fraud Act 2013 came into force on 15th October 2013. It allows the Court to order payment to the Lanlord of any profit made on an unlawful subletting.

Confiscation Orders in the Crown Court

  • After Conviction the Court can order a fixed sum to be confiscated
  • Restraint Orders – The Court can also make an order to stop the use or movement of money without prior agreement

Civil Recovery in the High Court

  • Freezing Orders – assets cannot be moved without agreement by the court;
  • Civil Recovery Orders – assets which are belived to be the proceeds of crime are forfeit. No Criminal conviction is needed
  • You can even be assessed for tax payable on profits from crime

If you:

  • Await confiscation proceedings after conviction
  • Have had your accounts frozen
  • Have had cash seized by Police or Customs
  • Are under investigation for drugs offences, fraud or money laundering
  • Have an Investigation for Housing Fraud
Arrange a meeting
Call one of our experts on:

Key Contact

Gilbert Spurling

Partner, Higher Court Advocate and Solicitor

Gil Spurling who specilaises in serious drugs cases.

Keith Hollywood


Our Fees

Criminal cases fixed fees We have conducted thousands of criminal cases both under Legal Aid and privately.  We have developed our hourly rates and fixed fees based on this experience. You can be certain that, if you are not eligible for Legal Aid, your costs will be no more than what we estimate or have agreed with you in writing. View fees